Modern Israel and Arab/Israeli Relations
Performance Objectives and Course Outline
INITIATOR: K. Chiaro/E. Shaked
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to do the following:
- Explain the origins of modern Israel and the Arab-Israeli relationships up to 1917.
- Explain the Palestine Mandate, Zionist State-Building, and Jewish/Arab relations up to 1948.
- Describe the State of Israel, relations with Arab states, search for security, and U.S.'s role between 1948-67.
- Explain the Arab/Israeli/Palestinian relationships, quest for the peace, and the U.S.'s role between 1967-84.
- Explain the Palestinian/Arab/Israeli relationships, and U.S.'s involvement in global and regional events from 1984 to the present.
Conceptual themes: Issues of national self-determination dialogue toward peace, and perspective
importance of U.S.'s involvement before and after the Cold War.
- Origins of Modern Israel and Arab-Israeli Relationships up to 1917
- Judaism, Ancient Israel and Diaspora
- Arabs, Islam, Muslim and Ottoman rule
- Idea of Return, forerunners of Zionism, Old Yishuv in Eretz Yisrael/"Holy Land"
- Herzl, Zionism, and growth of the Yishuv
- Arabs and Jews
- Palestine Mandate, Zionist State-Building, and Jewish/Arab Relations up to 1948
- Arab nationalism
- World War I and the Balfour Declaration
- Building the Jewish national home
- Arab-Jewish relations, Arab revolt
- Jewish militancy; World War II; Arab League
- End of mandate, illegal immigration, U.N. Partition plan, Israel's establishment
- State of Israel, Relations with Arab States, Search for Security, and U.S.'s Role between 1948-1967
- Independence War/Nakbeh, Palestinian Arab refugees
- Growth of the Israeli republic and its diversity
- Political, religious, social, cultural, and economic developments
- Immigrations: European and Oriental, Jewish refugees from Arab states
- Arab minority, and other minorities
- Foreign Affairs
- Sinai and Suez: Eisenhower Doctrine
- Israel and Arab regimes with oil
- Arms race: U.S. to Israel, Soviet Union to Egypt and Syria
- Arab-Israeli/Six-Day War and its aftermath, Jerusalem
- Arab/Israeli/Palestinian Relations, Quest for Peace, and U.S.'s Role between 1967-1984
- America's Israel connection
- Palestinian nationalism, Palestinian Liberation Organization (P.L.O.), Arab politics
- War and peace, and U.S. diplomacy
- Israel politics, war of attrition, Yom Kippur/Ramadan War
- P.L.O.-Israel relations, Camp David Accords
- War in Lebanon
- Palestinian/Arab/Israeli Relations, and U.S.'s Involvement in Global and Regional Events from 1984 to the present
- Israeli politics, society, culture, and economy; Ethiopian and Russian immigration
- Intifada, HAMAS
- Gulf War/Desert Shield/Desert Storm, oil, and end of Cold War
- Israeli/Palestinian/Arab negotiations and agreements
- Palestinian/Israeli relations, and the peace process in the 21st century
- Israeli/Palestinian dispute
- Fostering a better future: Israeli/Palestinian relations and U.S. role