II. The 3rd Reich & the Holocaust Era, Jan 1933-May 1945
Murderous Racism and Antisemitism - Bureaucracy of Evil. You let us do it!
Perpetrators, Collaborators, Victims, Bystanders, Resisters, Rescuers
A. The prewar period, 1933-39: Nazism - A Monolithic Culture
The 3rd Reich & the racial totalitarian state - Foreign Policy
SG#8d German Foreign Policy - The Road to War
Bauer 104-06; World War II: Prelude, Conduct and Aftermath of the War
New domestic unity enable Germany to rearm and prepare for conquest of lebensraum, and to achieve a new order.
Students will be able to describe German expansion, and explain the policy of appeasement.
Racial purity; lebensraum; New Order; Benito Mussolini. Anschluss; 1938 Munich Agreement; Neville Chamberlain; appeasement. Aug. 1939 Nazi-Soviet Pact - Hitler & Stalin.
II. Multiple-Choice Questions
1. The Nazi Party's rise to power was built upon two dominant ideologies:
a) racial purity & lebensraum
b) communism & appeasement
2. Hitler called his future plans for a Nazi-controlled Europe, & introduction there of Nazi racial ideology, the
a) New Order
b) New Deal
3. Revenge was a likely factor in the post-World War I thinking of
4. Some reasons for WW II: economic depression in Germany, Hitlers aggression, & German resentment of the
a. Treaty of Verdun
b. Treaty of Versailles
5. In 1936, Hitler sent the German army into the Ruhr &
a) the Rhineland
6. The XI Olympic Games were held in 1936, in
7. On October 25, 1936, the Berlin-Rome Axis, was an agreement pledging mutual military cooperation, between Hitler & Benito Mussolini,
a) Fascist dictator of Italy
b) Fascist dictator of Russia
8. 1938: March 12/13, without war, Germany proceed with the annexation of Austria:
a) the Anschluss
9. Sept. 29/30. 1938: Britain & France agreed to the German annexation of the Sudetenland
a) the Munich Agreement
b) the Berlin Agreement
10. This British Prime Minister appeases Hitler, and claimed, Peace in our times:
a) Winston Churchill
b) Neville Chamberlain
11. In the Nazi-Soviet Pact,
a. Stalin agreed to allow Hitler to invade Poland
b. Hitler & Stalin agreed to divide Czechoslovakia
12. The 1939 Nazi-Soviet nonaggression pact
a. divided Poland between Germany & Russia,
b. divided Poland between Germany & Italy
According to psychologist Ervin Staub, Hitlers ideology consisted of three main components:
1. Racial purity and the racial superiority of Germans, with strong antisemitism
2. Nationalism, with the goal of extending German power and influence
3. The leadership principle, which required unquestioning obedience to Hitler.
Describe and explain the impact of these components on the German domestic and foreign policies.
Copyright Fall 1999, November 2003, January 2004 Edith Shaked
Credit/source: Gary M. Grobman, The Holocaust - A guide for Teachers, 1990