Questions for the Final Exam
Use your readings to gather information for your essay. Consult your book! And remember to construct solid essays with an introduction, a body, and conclusion.
I will draw two questions from a hat and you will have to answer one.
There will also be a ten-point question on a current event related to Europe.
1. Explain the significance of the 2 major treaties negotiated in the last fifteen years in the European Union. What is the SEA and the TEU? How do they relate to each other? What are their main innovations?
2. How does the process of enlargement work? What are the prerequisite for EU membership and what must candidate members be able to meet. How does this application process unfold and what are the main obstacles that candidate countries need to resolve.
3. What is new about the new Nato? Wy does the EU seek to construct a security community?
4. Why do some observers claim that EMU has led to unemployment and economic stagnation? In your answer make sure that you first explain what is EMU and then proceed to analyze its impact on economic growth.
5. What role does the ECJ play in the process of integration? How does the ECJ relate to the member states and other EU institutions?
6. How do member states formulate a position or government line with regards major EU initiatives? How can we understand the position of EU member states over time in response to a major EU program. To illustrate/discuss your answer select one member states and explain how it has responded to various programs or measures and why it took this position.
7. What has been Scandinavia’s option in the security field in the last 50 years? Please make sure that you answer this question by distinguishing between the different Scandinavian countries. And discuss its security policy in reference to major developments/institutions/events.
8. Explain and describe the main features and responsibilities of the institutions of the European Union. Discuss the Council, the Commission, the EP, the ECJ, and EMU. How do they relate to each other? What are their functions? Which institution is more important than the others? And why?