- Have I fulfilled the needs of the assignment?
- Who is my audience? What rhetorical decisions have I made,
considering that audience? (entire acadmic communit
- Do I convey the purpose and context of my paper in the
- Have I included a highly specific thesis?
- Why have I organized my paper the way I have? Is there any logic
to it? How could I make the organization more progressive or
sequential? If not, how have I organized my argument for maximum
- Do I use topic sentences that show clear transitions from one
paragraph to the next? Do my paragraphs stay focused on the one idea I
present in my topic sentence? Does the closing sentence of each
paragraph emphasize the purpose of the paragraph and/or tie back
clearly to the overall argument of the paper?
- Is my argument consistent? Do any of my paragraphs introduce a
concept or argument I did not prepare my readers for? Do all of the
paragraphs “hang together” (cohere)?
- PIE: How do I support my arguments? Do the examples I give in the
paragraphs illustrate the point I want to make? Have I used quotations
for good reasons, or am I just filling up the paper? Do I explain
thoroughly what each quotation illustrates? Is most of my paper
analysis of the examples I present, or have I quoted too
- Is my tone/voice consistent? Do I seem light-hearted in one place
and deadly serious in another? Do I stay consistently in one tense
(past or present) and point of view (third person)?
- Is my conclusion strong? Does it answer the question, “so
what” by giving broader implications of the argument?